A Letter and An Apology to the Top Ten Books I Meant to Read in 2023 but Never Got To

As of January 2024, I would like to officially acknowledge the beginning of the new year. As of yesterday, I have replaced my pencil and eraser with a permanent pen, particularly as I am no longer needing to erase the "3" from the date portion of any paper document. I expect applause at this momentous occasion, but first...some of my intentions in 2023 remained unfruitful. 

As tribute, this post is dedicated to the books that were abandoned. To those untouched on the TBR shelf or those pages never tear-marked, crinkled, highlighted, and marked with reader thoughts. To the books that would have left me breathless and developed my warped humor further with the trauma of losing characters or triangular love connections, this is an apology and an affirmation that you will shine in 2024!


Move over DiCaprio, for the real dreamboats are awaiting my wicked eyes. These are the Books of '24.

10 Books I Meant to Read in 2023 But Never Got To:






1. The Heroes of Olympus: The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

*Although a re-read, it's still important to return to old characters to check their mental health, particularly as they suffer from chronic cases of main character syndrome...plus, I read 200 pages and left it to read other books. :(

2. The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins

After concluding Katniss and Peeta's story in Mockingjay several years ago, I anticipated reading Collins' newest addition to The Hunger Games series since 2020. Now, I finally have my hands on this novel and cannot tear my eyes away. Fifty more pages to go!

3. Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
4. Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy by Laini Taylor

*Started and read 250 pages and got excited by re-reading Heroes of Olympus series. Dang it, and better luck next time!

5. The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger
6. American Gods by Neil Gaiman
7. The Dark Artifices: Queen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra Clare
8. Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Chalice of the Gods by Rick Riordan

As I finished my re-read of PJO in 2023, this might be the best time to re-visit Percy and his friends before they are swamped by college midterms.

9. Passenger by Alexandra Bracken
10. Caraval by Stephanie Garber

*Premise reminds me of Erik Larson's The Devil in the White City, so I assume I will love it (and finish it too)!

As this blog post is capped at 10 books, I might as well salvage my embarrassingly tall TBR list and get to reading. Otherwise, have a great day of reading ahead!

Love,
newbookcats

So, *awkward silence* may I interest you in adopting me and saving me from my incredible book debt that is my TBR list? What books were you unable to give a loving pat in 2023? Any TBR additions that moved aside older novels? Converse with me in the comments below or via any social media, and Happy Tuesday!

Comments

  1. Haha it is still 50/50 as to whether I am writing 2023 or 2024 atm!
    I also want to read Caraval.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole @ NewBookCatsREADSJanuary 25, 2024 at 12:03 PM

      Wholeheartedly agree with that 2023 or 2024 debacle. Still am trying to type ‘23 although I know our lives have aged.

      But, for the fate of Caraval? We will find out if it’s read in 2024 or not…I believe that I got the book in 2018 and it’s never moved from my TBR. It definitely has middle child syndrome :(

      Delete
  2. I'm a teacher, so I have to get in the habit really quickly of writing the new year otherwise the kids and I are writing the wrong year until March, lol. I keep going back and forth on Caraval. I mostly read non-fiction but a few blogger friends said I might like it. I don't read Fantasy though, which I have been told it is. I like a lot of YA thrillers and mysteries, but not sure if Caraval would have enough of that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole @ NewBookCatsREADSJanuary 25, 2024 at 12:05 PM

      I’ll let you know how much fantasy elements are in Caraval when I read it. I’ve had it on my TBR since 2018, so hopefully 2024 is its year!

      Also, yep, March is a very acceptable amount of time I ease into the new year. No more cold plunges! :P

      Delete
  3. I think I'm most impressed by the fact that you're already remembering that it's 2024 and not 2023. xD I expect it to take well into March for it to sink in for me. A lot of these books are still on my TBR, as well! I hope you get to read and enjoy these this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole @ NewBookCatsREADSJanuary 25, 2024 at 12:09 PM

      “Three months until 2024!” should be our new slogan, I guess. Actually, that would be a great band name…THE THREE MONTHS (Before New Year)!

      Good luck with your TBR list, and hopefully Caraval is great!

      Delete
  4. You make me laugh! I hope you enjoy all these when you get to them :)

    Happy TTT (on a Thursday)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole @ NewBookCatsREADSJanuary 25, 2024 at 12:10 PM

      Aww, thank you! Wishing you all the best laughs in 2024!! <3

      Delete
  5. Of these I've only read Catcher in the Rye - in high school! I remember liking it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole @ NewBookCatsREADSJanuary 25, 2024 at 12:13 PM

      I’m extremely upset that I never got to read Lord of the Flies nor The Catcher in the Rye when I was in high school. Shakespeare was given, but I never got to relate to angsty teenagers attempting to navigate the treacherous waters of young adulthood and extreme situations….besides dragons and fae of course. Hope you enjoy your 2024 readings!

      Delete
  6. Looks like 2024 will have awesome books :) I want to read The Chalice of the Gods this summer, for me, Percy and the camp screams summer vibes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole @ NewBookCatsREADSJanuary 27, 2024 at 4:55 PM

      Thank you! Hopefully 2024 is my year of reading! Enjoy the newest installment of PJ, and I cannot wait to catch up with PJ and his friends!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Four Books I Recently Got in the Mail That Caused Me to Scream

A Bookish Letter to the Book Community: 10 Reasons Why I Love You

Ten Enticing "One Day" Novels with INCREDIBLE Pacing and That Caused Me to Forget the World Around Me