Ten Enticing "One Day" Novels with INCREDIBLE Pacing and That Caused Me to Forget the World Around Me


Every Tuesday, Jana at That Artsy Reader Girl hosts Top Ten Tuesday, a series of posts created to appreciate lists of books and reading-related culture. The theme changes every week and is chosen by Jana. Come join our fangirl/boy craziness by naming your top ten favorite short reads in the comments or in your very own blog/social media post!

Books and their stories, no matter the length, are extremely attractive. After a long day of work or school, it's only necessary to curl up on the couch and read a fraction of a story before sleeping the night away. However, some nights, the energy to finish a whole book readily flows in your veins and is fueled from the adrenaline of the right story. It's the nail-biting adventure novel with the cliffhanger chapters or the horrific fantasy giving goosebumps or the short king novellas. Whichever book floats your metaphorical boat, I have curated a list to cater to the interests of most readers. Ten genres is definitely not enough to cover everyone's tastes, but each of these stories include fantastic pacing, worldbuilding, and better yet, a day/night of fun reads! So, let's approach the contestants of this week's Top Ten Tuesday...
~

1. 
For YA dystopian fans: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

For the years I was in my young adult reader era, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and The Shadowhunter Chronicles among several other franchises became my *entire* personality. The bull's eye of the Target logo became my interested target in archery. My teeth were stained blue from my strict diet of blue cookies. For Halloween, I donned my Hogwarts uniform and dressed as Church the cat in subsequent Halloweens. Need proof?! 
Exhibit A: 
But, this story of a young woman's rebellious actions against a corrupt leadership is so enticing because of the stakes involved and Collin's wonderfully executed pace in each of the books. Amongst the world building and the character development of not just the main character Katniss but her family, fellow tributes, and citizens of the Capitol. A story of war, love, and sacrifice, I wholeheartedly recommend this book and the series overall.

Also, I cannot help but mention I finished my re-read of these books last week, finishing each of them in a day. Then, I finished the prequel (again) in a day. 

2. 
For YA romance fans: The Selection series by Kiera Cass

Books 1-3 are where my heart and loyalty lie. Although the love triangle and America herself can become a nuisance, the books themselves are under 350 pages and each can easily be completed within a couple hours...as long as there are no cake-like distractions anywhere near. This story has enough excitement and action to keep eyes attached to Cass' words, and this is a fun addition to the  bookshelves of Love Island or The Bachelor fans.




3. 
For YA thriller fans: Follow Me Back by A. V. Geiger

Including text messages, phone calls, and the alternating perspectives of the main characters Tessa and Eric, their relationship from super fan and celebrity, respectively, transforms into something more as they divulge their secrets and insecurities to one another. Easy to read and even harder to stop, this book and its sequel will only leave you wanting more of Tessa and Eric's adorable and budding romance.

Warning, this book does include stalking, agoraphobia, and anxiety/depression.


4. For the spooky classic readers: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Frankenstein's monster is the star of movies and scary sleepover stories. A taboo story of returning the death to the living, Dr. Frankenstein is doing the unthinkable: fathering the life of miscellaneous corpse body parts with the spark of electrostatic discharges known as lightning. However, instead of caring for his little monster like a father should, Dr. Frankenstein becomes neglectful, causing the monster's outbursts directed on the town, the townspeople, and Dr. Frankenstein's fiancé. Shelley's work is sure to turn your head but not any farther until the last page is devoured.


5. For young readers: Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

I read this short novel in middle school, and if this novel made me cry, laugh, and sigh in the most fifth-grady way possible, I'm sure it is worth being on the list. 








6. For YA readers who want all the feels: What I Leave Behind by Alison McGhee

One-hundred chapters, each written with only 100 words. A short book describing the heartbreak of rape and losing a parent to suicide, Will turns the energy he previously used for grieving to instead share small acts of kindness with those within his community. 

McGhee's descriptions of grief from a young adult's perspective was relatable and endearing. This book took me a short while to read, but the emotional rollercoaster was everything!

7. For YA historical fiction fans: The War Outside by Monica Hesse

The reason why The War Outside is included within the list is not because it's a  five-star read or a book I adored when I read it several years ago. Rather, this book is included because Hesse's words make you think. Anyone can write a book that can be read and immediately dismissed to find another book to read, but there are those special books that make you think. The War Outside is one of those books. It focuses on American citizens that have Japanese and German ancestry and those that can be discriminated against without a second thought in several situations. The friendship of Margot and Haruko evolves throughout the story, and I was merely disappointed at the end because I wanted more. This book may be finished in a day but will leave you with thoughts for days on end.

8. For coming-of-age tale fans: Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

Kya is known as her small town's "Marsh Girl." Surviving in the marsh alone and abandoned by her family, she is resourceful, reserved, and intelligent about all the creatures and inner-workings of the swamp land she calls home. Until Chase Andrews is found dead under the water tower, Kya was considered a recluse but now she is suspected of a murder. A coming-of-age tale with enough prose to conquer other tales, Owens follows the life of Kya and her adventures of survival, boys, and biology.


9. For adult thriller fans: Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Between Flynn's Gone Girl and Sharp Objects, I believe the latter can easily be finished in one day, especially if the goosebumps don't hold you back from reading this enticing thriller. Both of the above novels are fantastically written thrillers and include the values of family and love, but Sharp Objects gives the reader a chance to unravel a small town's murders along with the secrets and mysteries of the town itself with Camille Preaker, a journalist returning to her hometown to report her findings.

Warning, this book does include self-harm, sexual assault, bullying and harassment, child abuse, murders revolving children, and depression/anxiety.


10. For historical fiction and mystery murder fans: Grail Conspiracy by Lynn Sholes and Joe Moore

Having read this book in eighth grade, I don't remember much from this novel besides it being a page-turner with great pacing and enough excitement to keep me interested. If you like historical fiction with a twist of murder, Cotten Stone and her search for the Holy Grail will keep you fully awake throughout the night.





What ten "one day" books would you recommend? Chat with me in the comments below or via any of my social medias.

Love,
newbookcats

Comments

  1. I've only read two of these, The Hunger Games and Where The Crawdads Sing, which I both enjoyed. A few of the other ones I've heard of but haven't read. I may need to check them out, I do enjoy books I can devour in a single day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who doesn't love the challenge of devouring novels in a single day? Enjoyed both of those novels so much, and I loved Collins' prequel to THG. Have a great TTT!

      Delete
  2. This is a really varied list! I've read some of these books, but usually they took me longer than a day each. I did binge the Selection trilogy back in the day, though. (Even though the love triangle drove me nuts.)

    Happy reading! My TTT: https://bookwyrmknits.com/2024/02/06/top-ten-tuesday-favorite-novellas/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a book for (almost) every reader on this list! I just learned how to speed read in high school, so I was able to read over 200 pages daily; however, since adulting, my reading has decreased ten-fold or even more.

      Also, YES to the Selection trilogy. Such a guilty pleasure but I got so angry with the characters several times throughout the story. Poor Maven!

      Happy TTT!

      Delete
  3. I love your list!! I'm a huge fan of The Hunger Games series too, and I've read them over and over again and love them more each time. Frankenstein is one of my favorite books too. And I also enjoyed The Selection, Where the Red Fern Grows, and Sharp Objects. I haven't read the others but I'm sure I'll like them too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I possibly love the rereads more than reading these books the first time, so I completely understand the want to reread THG and other novels over and over until the story is imprinted to my brain. Definitely, I would give any of these books a try, especially since they take you only a short while before the story is gone.

      Happy TTT!

      Delete
  4. I really need to read The War Outside! I read We Are Not Free by Traci Chee a few years ago and LOVED it.

    Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
    https://readbakecreate.com/under-read-books-i-read-in-2023/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Yes! Yes! I reviewed The War Outside in 2018 (shameless self promo), and the story was so insightful and thoughtful. I wholeheartedly recommend it. I'll look into reading Chee's novel soon! Happy TTT!

      Delete
  5. The Hunger Games and The Selection were popular with my girls. I've heard of many of the others, but can't say I read them. Thanks for sharing.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2024/02/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-quick-reads.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, both of those trilogies were required reading of Gen Z, so my friends and I all had crushes on those fictional characters of course. So many fun novels from 2010s, and I cannot wait to read the favs of future generations. Happy TTT!

      Delete
  6. Being a teenager in the 2000s or 2010s was so fun, I completely understand wanting a magician, demigods and participating in the hunger games.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I agree with that above statement. The discovery of Instagram and SnapChat and the books of my heart! I now just need a story combining the elements of magicians and demigods participating in Hunger Games sort of scenario. Add in a dragon or a plate of poisoned eggs, and you have a novel! :P Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Four Books I Recently Got in the Mail That Caused Me to Scream

A Bookish Letter to the Book Community: 10 Reasons Why I Love You