My Monthly Adventures: August 2017

I have decided to start a new segment on this blog called My Monthly Adventures. Since the school year is starting, it is the perfect time for me to begin this new addition to the post family. To start off this new segment, school has started(BOO and HOORAY), sleep has taken a step down on my list of things to do, and school work has flooded my life. Since this is a monthly update, I will tell you what I read and did this month.

For this month, I did a good amount of reading, but I did not read the best books on the bookshelves. I mostly gave books 3/5 star ratings and lower for most of the books I read, which is not normal.

I read...

1. What My Cat Has Taught Me About Life by Niki Anderson
4/5 stars
This was the first book I had completely read in August due to a really bad reading slump taking over my life and 180 pages was an easy enough task for me to complete. I did a blog post based on this book called The Meaning of Life...From a Cat, which is a discussion/ mini review of this super short book full of little stories of cats and what you can learn from them.

2. The Readymade Thief by Augustus Rose
3/5 stars
I was requested by the author and publisher to write a review and I was sent an ARC(Advanced Release Copy) book via Goodreads. My full review is on my blog and on Goodreads, where you can find my full discussion on The Readymade Thief.

3. Zenn Diagram by Wendy Grant
2/5 stars
Zenn Diagram was my third I was requested to review by the author and the publisher. I did a full review of this book on Goodreads and my blog.

4. Secondborn by Amy A. Bartol
2/5 stars
This was my second book requested by the author and the publisher to read and review their book to spread news to my readers. My full review is on my blog and on Goodreads, where I discuss my full feelings and the plot of this book for you all to read.

5. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke
3/5 stars
I have done a review on my blog and on Goodreads.

6. The Traitor's Masque by Kenley Davidson
4/5 stars
I have done a review on Goodreads and on my blog.

7. The Walled City by Ryan Graudin
3/5 stars
I have done a review on Goodreads, and it will soon be on my blog.

8. Mask of Shadows by Linsey Miller
4.5/5 stars
I have done a review on Goodreads and on my blog.

9. Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel
Reviews soon to be unveiled.

10. Aaru by David Meredith
Reviews soon to be unveiled.

11. Colorless by Rita Stradling
Reviews soon to be unveiled.
-

Currently Reading...

1Achilles by Greg Boose
Release Date: September 26, 2017
I received this arc from a giveaway on Goodreads. I thought I would really enjoy it since it takes place in space, on a different planet, and is science fiction, which I do not read a lot of due to my reading choices being in the genre of fantasy; however, I am really not enjoying it and am thinking of DNFing(Did Not Finish) it.

2. The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding by Alexandra Bracken
Release Date: September 5, 2017
This is my first Alexandra Bracken book, and I am really enjoying it! I am hoping by the end of it I can give it 5/5 stars.
-
What I Did This Month

In August, I had caught a bad case of the reading slump, which I had thought I had gotten rid of after Carry On by Rainbow Rowell, which I read in the month of July, before I went on my trip to visit Hogsmeade and Hogwarts in the mystical state of California in the beginning of August. I loved going to Universal Studios to visit Harry Potter World, which I have wanted to go for a long time, for the first time. I will always thank my dad and uncle for taking me to see Hogwarts and Hogsmeade forever. It was amazing, and I wish I had taken pictures, but it was so crowded and I so was stunned the entire time. I highly recommend going to Harry Potter World at Universal Studios if you are a fan or not since it has so many aspects such as architecture, detail, food, of course, and attractions that will blow you away and that anyone could enjoy. I would just not go on the Flight of the Hippogriff, since it is so short and is such a long wait to get on; but, you should definitely try the butterbeer and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride because those are so awesome!

Also, I started school on August 21st, which is when I started my sophomore year in high school and my second semester of college. I was very excited since I love to learn but a little sad since I want to spend more time relaxing in my pajamas and reading. I get VERY mad when I have a bad reading month. Although I may always say I enjoyed my first week of school, I hardly got anything done due to Hurricane Harley coming, to me not having all my essential school supplies for some of my subjects, and to me only having the will to read when not falling asleep. Hopefully, during the school year, I will get more motivated to do my school work and get my needed supplies for some of my subjects.

Later this month, Hurricane Harvey hit Houston, and I was one of the many along with my family who had gotten hit. This violent storm postponed me from going to school, from writing blog posts, and sometimes from reading e-books or e-arcs on my kindle. This is not a big deal, though, since others had gotten worse conditions from Harvey than I ever could have imagined. I am glad Houston is recovering, and I am keeping them in my prayers.
-
Posts I Wrote this Month

1. The Meaning of Life...From a Cat

2. My Plans for this Blog

3. Book Review: Zenn Diagram by Wendy Brandt

4. Book Review: The Readymade Thief by Augustus Rose

5. Book Review: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke

6. Book Review: Secondborn by Amy A. Bartol

7. Book Review: Mask of Shadows by Linsey Miller

8. Book Review: Traitor's Masque by Kenley Davidson
-
See you next month!

Love,
newbookcats

Instagram
Goodreads
Twitter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four Books I Recently Got in the Mail That Caused Me to Scream

A Bookish Letter to the Book Community: 10 Reasons Why I Love You

Book Haul: Stacking My Shelves High with Some New Books