RANKED: My Favorite Books of 2017

As I am currently listening to 2017's top hits, I thought that this would be the perfect time to begin the new year with a post discussing my favorite books of 2017. 2017 was a somewhat great reading year.
I gave a lot of 5 stars to books that can be brought into my favorites and others that can stay on my almost-favorites shelf. I wish I could but some of the books I read last year were not the greatest so I have compiled a list of books that have lasted with me throughout the year.

1. Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare
First off, I have my #1 favorite for 2017: Lord of Shadows. I am pretty sure almost everyone is psychic on this one as any Cassandra Clare book is absolutely #1 for me. The only regret I have about this book is that I wish I had written a review for this when I had first read it, and maybe I will when I reread it; however, I was absent from my blog for a while so yeah. Anyway, I loved this addition to the Dark Artifices trilogy, and I am so glad that we do not have to wait another year to read Queen of Air and Darkness! I cannot wait for the finale as it will be fantastic; however, I do not want to say goodbye to my babies.
Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
2. Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
Sadly, this individual book does not have a picture taken by me but if it did, that picture could not fully show and explain the awesomeness Leigh Bardugo has packed in between a few hundred pages. I really enjoyed reading this book; also, although it is part of the Six of Crows duology, it is so different from Six of Crows. Where Six of Crows was fast-paced and mostly about learning the team that makes my heart grow three times larger, Crooked Kingdom took its time to map out the plans the wonderfully intricate team of villains in this story created, show the plans in action, and still develop all the characters. I had all the emotions while reading this book and I would not trade the experience to read this book with any other. For that, Bardugo deserves a big, fat check.

3. IT by Stephen King
IT! IT! IT!

Aw man, IT did not appear. Well, although I tried to resurrect It Beetlejuice-style and did not succeed, I still love my first Stephen King novel.

Stephen King is not just a fantastic writer, but also, he is a fantastic storyteller! I already have The Green Mile high on my tbr list for 2018, and if that does not tell you how much I loved this book, I have no idea what will.

A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)4. A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas
If you are a Sarah J. Maas fan or not, you still need to read this trilogy. After I read A Court of Thorns and Roses, I wanted to read the next book; however, little did I know that this book was going to blow me out of the water. I am so glad I read this in 2017 as last year was a little stressful with me starting college and whatnot. If you need a book to occupy your time or are feeling stressed out due to school, work, etc., pick up this book and read!




Wild Beauty5. Wild Beauty by Anne-Marie McLemore
Wild Beauty. What words can I use to describe this book? For one, gorgeous. For another, plain BEAUTIFUL. And for third place, extraordinary. So much flowery goodness is filled within the pages that it just makes this book so good. In other words, the purple prose is marvelously done, and usually I hate prose or anything poetic as the author usually dodges around the bullet; however, McLemore does it in a way that it can relate to the story being told and make it quote-worthy.




6. The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding by Alexandra Bracken
Finally, a book that I have actually reviewed on this blog other than goodreads. What other words other than fantastic, exceptional, and fun can I use to describe The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding? Well, I could use flipping AWESOME but then that would be two words so I will just stick with flipping. No, I mean amazing. No, I really mean flipping as this book had me turning from all sides. I loved this book, which kinda maybe made me give it five stars. What?! This book made me do it! The only way to reapply the band aids onto the fresh wounds that have been made from this book and the others on this list is for me to get the second book of this series RIGHT FLIPPIN' NOW!

7. The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzie Lee
This book! This book is so awesome! I loved this book and soon a sequel will be among us! I cannot wait! Can you tell from all the exclamation marks that I cannot wait?! Anyway, the reason why this book is not #1 on this list even though I may say that it is absolutely to die for is that it can become very slow in some parts. Sorry not sorry to having said something negative about one of my favorite books of 2017.




A Tale of Two Cities8. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
This novel is so thought-provoking. I literally sat in my chair for probably an hour after I finished it because it is so much more than just a novel discussing different relationships and how they have each shaped each character's life. It is a story of love and lost, a story of a journey through time, and a story of laughs and hardships that Dickens puts his characters through. I laughed, I awwed, and I felt so many emotions that cannot be expressed in words. So, I am a reader who reads words and somehow I cannot express myself in words. That is correct! A+ for those of you who thought that thought. Now, let me hide in my cave with no socialization and reading being the only thing allowed. I just hope that I have not scared the Dickens out of you!

9. Mask of Shadows by Linsey Miller
I also have reviewed this book on this blog so two points for me. I had immensely enjoyed this book when I had first read it. This book reminds me of Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas so that may be a reason why I enjoyed it so much.








There you have it: nine of my favorite books of 2017 for your four-legged and nine-lived furry creature with pointy ears. I hope that you enjoyed 2017 and had a few favorite books of your own.
(Wow! I am so bad at ending posts.)

Love,
newbookcats

What were your favorite books of 2017? Do they correspond with the amount of lives you or another animal may live? Do you have any author or book puns to share? Correspond with me in the comments below or on any of my social medias.

Goodreads
Google+
Instagram
Twitter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four Books I Recently Got in the Mail That Caused Me to Scream

A Bookish Letter to the Book Community: 10 Reasons Why I Love You

Book Haul: Stacking My Shelves High with Some New Books